The Art of Coaching Institute
This series of professional development sessions will prepare participants to use coaching as a strategy for developing instructional capacity among literacy teachers. Participants will learn to shape understandings of best practice and prompt reflection to develop more responsive teaching and greater student achievement. These sessions use a hands-on, collaborative approach and will require that participants engage in coaching between sessions.
Bring Required Texts:
- Art of Coaching by Elena Aquilar;
- The Fountas and Pinnell Literacy Continuum, Expanded Edition by Fountas and Pinnell;
- Teaching for Comprehending and Fluency by Fountas & Pinnell.
- The Literacy Quick Guide: A Reference Tool for Responsive Literacy Teaching by Fountas & Pinnell (Heinemann) — ISBN 978-0-325-05128-4 / 0-325-05128-3 / 2018 / 96pp / Spiral / Grade Level: PreK - 8th.
Literacy Leader Academy
Open to principals, superintendents, and curriculum specialists
Asynchronous Coursework: Time commitments will vary from 30 minutes to 2 hours each month. These assignments are completed independently on your own schedule.
A blended (synchronous and asynchronous) virtual professional learning academy designed to empower individuals, such as administrators, superintendents, curriculum leaders, and coaches, who lead teams, to become a Literacy Leader in their building or district. The synchronous sessions are provided on the schedule below. These live sessions will be recorded and available for a limited time afterward. Asynchronous coursework includes short readings with responses, traditional or virtual classroom observations with reflections, and other assignments that can be embedded in your own work easily.
Sessions will explain how you can support best practice in literacy by understanding the theory that supports it, what it should look like in a classroom, what resources are necessary, authentic conversations with teachers about their practice, and how to support teachers in their ongoing professional learning.
Sessions are designed to support you in becoming a transformational leader by identifying and exploring your current strengths as a leader, as you cultivate new habits and resilience to lead through challenging times. Practical tools and protocols are shared for ways to improve your ability to lead fellow educators in traditional and virtual settings.
This academy is highly recommended for administrators in schools affiliated with Literacy Collaborative or those considering joining the Literacy Collaborative network. However, you do not need to be affiliated with Literacy Collaborative to take advantage of this impactful professional learning.
- The Art of Coaching Teams: Building Resilient Communities that Transform Schools by Elena Aguilar;
- Responsive Literacy: A Comprehensive Framework Patricia L. Scharer ed. (2018)
Responsive Literacy Framework 2-6+
Check back for dates
— Begin your literacy professional development here! Intended as an overview of responsive literacy practices, this session will introduce instructional contexts, including Interactive Read Aloud, Guided Reading, Reading Workshop, Writing Workshop, Writing about Reading, and Word Study. Designed for 2-6+ educators. School/district administrators are encouraged to attend with their literacy teams.
Please have the materials available for class:-
- Responsive Literacy: A Comprehensive Framework, Scharer P.L. (Scholastic, 2018)
- The Fountas and Pinnell Literacy Continuum, Expanded Edition
- The Literacy Quick Guide: A Reference Tool for Responsive Literacy Teaching (2018) by Irene Fountas and Gay Su Pinnell